mumsnet

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Dragons and Halflings

So, if you should find yourself in the company of a dragon and a halfling, remember you do not have to fight the dragon...... you just need to outrun the halfling.

This was written on the front of the t-shirt of the guy in front of me in yoga class.  I read it upside down whilst he was lying on his back and pondered, then he sat up and the punch line was on his back.  It made me smile.

Then it made me wonder.  I'm never that person.  I would always, always, stand and fight the dragon.  Sometimes this has got me into trouble and more worrying I may have put other people at risk.   It brought to mind an old memory.

I recalled hearing a woman screaming in a public toilet off a main road. It was 11am on a Sunday.  People hurried by looking shifty and a bit concerned.  I was astounded that this was possible. So approaching a "respectable" looking, biggish, chap who was at least looking as if he heard the sound, I asked "shall we do something?" in a tone that brooked no argument.

We approached the building, "you go in first and shout if you need me" he said.  I went in.  The screaming came from a local, well known, dosser warming herself underneath the hand dryer.  It was a distressing sight, but not in the way myself or my fellow bypasser had suspected.  I came out, "it's just a bag lady".  "Oh" says the guy looking very relieved and then shouts out "stop making that noise".  We part company, both feeling we've done our bit.   We hadn't of course.  What could we do?

On the subject of doing ones bit, and off at a tangent,  this blog is hard to keep up.  I know its early days and I want to keep trying.   However, it is so hard to find a right time to fit it in what with work and wife-hood and motherhood and friends to see sometimes and trying to keep my yoga habit up to some extent. I have a feeling that I really need this though, so I need to keep trying.

This is written on the hoof whilst my son, is baying for "information" from the internet, by which he means pictures of carnivorous animals which he can take great pleasure in reproducing.  There's little time to think much or just to be quiet......

ho hum

No comments:

Post a Comment