mumsnet

Sunday 8 January 2012

First Sunday

So, part of my resolve for this year was to create a space where I could come on a regular basis to let off steam a bit about things that get my goat but don't seem to bother my peers that much.  Generally these "things" relate to pop culture which I find increasingly sexist and disrespectful to the female of  the species.

This bothers me particularly because having grown up in the South of England in the 70s I saw horizons clipped for girls.  They broadened throughout the 80s and 90s.  It seems to me for whatever reason that the tide is turning again and I'm so depressed at the fact that many of the 80s generation perceive feminism as a dirty word having benefited so much from the sheer grind of the 70s feminists who went before.

I hope somehow I can unpack these thoughts here, and just articulate some of my unease.  I don't have the time or desire to join a group.  My beloved husband deserves a break:)  My dear friends often have other (more pressing) concerns.  However, this may just save me from packing my facebook status with an ire from which I can't ever return. I'm dangerously close.

Resolves early on are i) keep the blog anonymous at all costs, this is a space where I can say what I think without the risk of offending someone close to me; ii) try to keep it on a regular basis for a year at least; and iii) wait and see if it is beneficial or if it just becomes a chore.

Have to say it feels a bit odd at the moment, maybe it will get easier?......

No comments:

Post a Comment