mumsnet

Thursday 19 January 2012

Time on my hands

What are you doing at the weekend?

On Friday mornings I do the school run and I’m often asked this question.  It will likely be asked tomorrow.  Quite often I say "nothing".  Quite often too I feel compelled to think of "something" fun we can do, because after all it is the weekend. 

On Saturdays generally, up at 6 as usual and following the usual round of breakfast and general domestics I leave the house. I cycle the 5 odd miles to the yoga studio and do a 90 minute yogaflow class,  whilst my hub takes our son to his football session.   I cycle home, get lunch and then after a flurry of general tidying, throwing a wash in, and maybe ironing the uniform for the following week we might go to meet my friend in the country park for a wander and a natter with the kids.   It’s nice.

However it is a busy day in a similar way to the week.  Up, school, work, school, home, cook, son's bedtime and either I go out to yoga or my hub goes out to some sort of exercise. 

There's not much time to do nothing. Let alone read, think, or do some of the things I'd quite like to explore before I "croak" as my dear brother would so eloquently put it. 

I'm out to dinner with some work colleagues this weekend.  I turned down an evening out next week because it feels a thing too much, but I did feel guilty about doing that. 

Sunday past, unusually,  we didn't do much. We stayed home and spent the morning playing with paints in our pyjamas.  In the afternoon my son and I set up an "art gallery" in our kitchen.  We had music on, we both hummed along.  My hub got a bit of time to himself and  I realised how much I need that day really to prepare for the week ahead, practically, emotionally and mentally.   

It would be good to do that again this week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment