mumsnet

Saturday 11 February 2012

Art Attack

My child is inventive and artistic.  He seems to learn by representing the world as he sees it with his own particular slant.  Whether this be by impersonating the Lion King or painting an endless stream of wild animals.  It is a pleasure and a privilege to be party to this.   

From our point of view - his mum and dad it is something of a revelation.  I've done my share of am dram in the past and enjoyed swanning round a stage pontificating in character.  My hub, as it turns out, is a really good representational artist.  He will tell you otherwise, brushing aside his ease with a pencil and the subject of his eye.  However, the fact remains that he holds this particular skill and my son has obviously inherited it. 

All this creative activity has encouraged me to dabble in areas previously untried.  I have never attempted to draw or paint as an adult.  Permission to do so was withdrawn by my art teacher who told me "you can't do it" aged 11. Of course I thought she was right, having grown up to respect the views of my elders. 

Anyway, lately I've been trying.  I'm not good at it.  But I do love it. Blank canvas, images from imagination, beautiful colour replacing white.  The result? Well it's endeavour, if not art. 

I just had an idea and tried sketching it out.  My hub was good naturedly teasing.  The consequence was instant withdrawal into my shell, feeling very silly.  It is amazing that I can recall the voice of that bag after thirty four years.  That I can recall the art room, and where I was sitting in it.  The smell of the powder paint, the dirty bench at which I was working. The physical sense of confidence shrinking in my gut. 

I thought I probably won't try again then. 

Except that I will - I retreated to the shower kinda licking my wound and wondered to myself how much a person could accomplish who was suddenly uninhibited from all the voices internal and external who say "you can't do it".   The answer of course, is a lot more than a person who never tries.    

I recall a quote, not sure from whom, but I don't think it will matter if I try to reproduce it roughly. 

It goes like this: "If a voice inside you tells you that you cannot paint, by all means paint and that voice will be silenced".

I probably cannot paint. But I will anyway, so yah boo sucks Miss Richardson.....

No comments:

Post a Comment