mumsnet

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Pillar of the Community

 Kate on thin ice asked for 90 bloggers to contribute 90 words about "an important woman in their lives" in support  of Breakthrough for Breast Cancer.   

I wanted to do this, and so I started to think about all the wonderful women in my life.  There is absolutely no shortage. The real difficulty lay in deciding which amazing woman to choose.  My short list comprised : my lovely mum, my beloved sister, my 2 oldest friends, my dearest local friend, my amazing auntie, my mother in law, my sister in law, my niece, my fantastic child minder.  

Without a single one of the women on this list my life would have been so very different in so many ways and I'm taking the opportunity to say a quiet "thank you, to you all - you mean the world to me". 

This post was on my mind on Friday as I sat in the waiting room of my local surgery with my little one who was suffering temperature and tummy ache - the usual childlike ills.  As we were called in, I suddenly knew who to write about. 


I can’t tell her the difference she’s made to me. It would overstep a boundary. Alice, my GP, is after all, only doing her job.  But year after year, despite having two children to raise, she has been a role model, confidante, a source of strength and humour. The woman I have trusted to help me through some of the toughest trials I’ve faced and also some of the most embarrassing and ridiculous. 90 words by no means cuts the mustard - I am so grateful that she has been there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment