mumsnet

Saturday 4 February 2012

Motivator for Feb 2013

This post is a memo to me.  Do NOT skive off or skip yoga classes henceforth!

I've had a yoga practice of sorts for 8 years now.  Starting strongly with loads of enthusiasm and not much strength or flexibility when I was 37.  I practised 4-5 times a week for about 18 months.  I slowed down when I first got pregnant and then picked up again following a miscarriage.  This continued for another couple of years until I finally held on to a pregnancy and started pregnancy yoga and then baby yoga for a bit when my boy finally arrived.

I have intermittently attended classes since his birth.  A 6 month-ish stint at early morning Ashtanga practice before I started back to work again.  The odd class here and there.  But mainly it has been home practice on a fairly erratic basis.

Since the end of summer last year however, we (as a family) have found 3 slots per week for me to attend my classes.  This is a big step forward and it means I get access to four and half hours per week of led yoga and a real opportunity to build a significant practice again.  I have the chance to progress rather than simply maintain.  

Last Saturday however, I found myself reluctant to go.  I was too snugly and enjoying being in the house too much.  I missed a further session this week again --  though that was largely due to monstrous cramps (or that's what I told myself).  

So when I had that feeling again this morning I ignored it and went.  I'm so glad.  Great practice, great vibe and I got good tips on a new approach to Hare post which usually gives me trouble.  

And this is the point - I don't think I've ever had a class where I've not learned something new.  It is always worth going - even if I really don't feel like it.  I will always be a slightly changed person after.

Thinking back, 8 years ago I couldn't hold a downward facing dog for more than 5 seconds.  Nowadays I love this pose and can stay for a long time.  

I'm currently struggling with hip openers and spinal twists. It would be good to revisit this page in a year's time and see where I am with it all.

A motivator for Feb 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment