mumsnet

Friday 3 February 2012

Boast Fest

Today I collected three 5 year old boys from school.  Very excited, boisterous and LOUD.  Managed to get them home without hindrance.

Passed two mummies with very young babies in beautiful new travel systems on the way.
 "Ssssh" said one to the boys.  Fairly good naturedly but still with the definite "don't you wake my baby" undertone.

I sympathise, I remember well the endless walking trying to get a young baby to sleep and then the tenterhooks whilst you wait for it to wake and starting yelling again.

But I'm out the other side now - although it doesn't always feel that way.  My little gang tore down the road, shouting, yelling, pretend fighting and laughing.  Into the house demanding popcorn. This age is characterised by  constant one up-manship.  I've got this, I can do this, it's my turn first, I'm bigger, better, stronger than you.   I don't know one of my son's friends who doesn't do this to some extent.  My little one is still trying to figure out how to handle it.  He tends to alternate between trying his own luck in the boast fest and just disintegrating into tears - that's not fair boo hoo!   It can be quite hard to listen to. But I can see it for what it is -- just children finding their way.

It's fascinating though to see glimmers of their genuine individual talents at this age. I'm not into pigeon-holing children but I can see glimpses of the skills they will bring naturally to the world if encouraged to develop them.

 It being Friday night, and now the friends have thankfully done home,  we are settling in for a bit of DVD watching and analysis.   My son is sketching "teddy rosebell" from the film "Night at the Museum" and I am once again marvelling at the wonderful artist he is.  His drawing is meticulous in detail and so much better a job than I can do even now (with some 40 years between us).

Unfortunately as I watch in admiration his little perfectionist streak asserts itself and he throws down his pencil in disgust.

"I can't do the head - that's rubbish!  Waaah"

So young and yet so exacting.

Still it's Friday - nearly clocking off time for me!  Is it wine o'clock yet? I've earned it - honest!


No comments:

Post a Comment