mumsnet

Thursday 9 February 2012

Michael Knows Everything

On the way to school this morning.  

"Mummy do you know Michael really does know everything"

"Hmm, well I always think if someone says that, they probably don't really.  I don't know everything and I'm quite old, Michael is only 5"

"No, he had his birthday so he's six.  Anyway I like listening and I think he really does know lots of things"

Very good.  The child in question is indeed something of a know-it-all. As previously mentioned, this is a trait common to the age group, and some seem more deeply entrenched than others.

I guess I'm facing the first of many situations where my precious child is told one thing by one of his peers and another by me. He prefers Michael's strain of the facts at the moment.  At the moment it doesn't matter, but I guess it will increasingly as he gets older.   I want him to trust me and my judgement.  However he will only be able to really do that if he is able to think freely for himself.

I have a feeling part of the development of free thinking (if it is ever possible)  is having time and space to mull things over in your head. I love it when he says to me "Mummy I'm thinking....."  As long he keeps doing that, he'll be alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment